The Velmas

Rock and Roll Message Board
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: the february mini-tour
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:30 pm 
Site Admin

(this is pretty long, but i promise it gets more interesting after my thank yous!)

well, that was a lot of fun. this was only our second time down in philly, and our first time in va, nc and md. we had great turnouts at the first two shows, which was awesome. it's really great when you're that far from home, and you still see friendly and sometimes familiar faces out there looking back at you and singing along.

considering we were on the bill with pretty much only punk and metal bands for these shows, i think we went over really well. everyone was friendly and supportive. the evils, a kickass punk band from georgia, were great about lending us some of their equipment, since we didn't bring our drum kit, or guitar or bass amp speakers (they wouldn't fit in the pathfinder, and to bring the trailer would have used WAY more gas). they gave us some tips about touring in europe, too. i guess they do really well out there, it sounds pretty cool! thanks also to dreadline, a tight metal group from Virginia for hooking us up with gear at the half-shell, and slaves to addiction, a monsterous metal group from NC who helped out at zakk's. also big thanks to jon at zakk's for helping out as well! while i'm doling out thanks, one more goes out to Mr F Wood Promotions for hooking us up with all the dates on the tour and saving us a LOT of work! F Wood Rules!

i managed to get through the first 3 shows with one guitar without breaking any strings. but the 4th time proved to be the one - midway through This Time, my G string snapped :wink:. i finished up the song best i could, and the second it was over, i had another guitar being handed to me by someone from another band! i never found out who it was, so thanks to you, mystery person! unfortunately that guitar was detuned 2 or 3 steps and might not have even been in standard tuning there, which basically means it would have been really tough to figure how to play our songs on it. so i got out my backup guitar and everything was cool. but stuff like that was really the norm for this tour, which was very refreshing. all the bands really were into helping each other out. gotta love that.

we'd printed out google maps and directions for each show, to and from each venue and place we were staying. they didn't help, really. i guess once you get south of philly or so, the whole "street sign" thing isn't taken as seriously. we missed so many turns because there just weren't any signs, or even worse, the freakin signs pointed us to the wrong place! (you can see some of our frustration in the little video i put together.)

unfortunately VA Beach was the only place i'd remembered to take out my camera, so that's all the footage we shot the whole tour. i might have some shorter clips on my phone, but it was missing a few days here, and my friend just found it in a snowbank outside his house, and the prognosis doesn't sound good. i'm hoping the memory card at least still works! luckily i'd decided "eh, what the hell, why not?" when i got the phone, and got that verizon insurance policy. new phone coming right up!

thanks to a couple of bruce's buddies, we were able to avoid having to pay for motels every night, and that was a HUGE deal. the one motel we stayed in was in VA Beach, almost directly across the street from the club. it was great, they had wireless internet service advertised and everything. what you don't find out til you check in though, is that the wireless router is in the main office, and unless you're pretty much in that office, or maybe the first room next to it, you're not getting online. so i spent a few minutes in the lobby downloading maps to google earth on my laptop. that program is awesome. too bad i didn't realize you need to be online to download new maps as you move around. so come the first time we get lost, and i bust out ol' lappy, it was very disappointing. i was all "I'll save the day!", and lappy was all "Yeah, not today you won't!".

i want to once more mention that Hardee's was freaking disgusting. bruce and fig were ALL about eating there once we started seeing signs for them every 1/2 mile. so we gave it a shot finally, as you see in that video. holy crap. i got a mushroom swiss burger with chili cheese fries (how can you not at least TRY them, right?), and wow. now i will admit, it actually Tasted ok. but once you get it down, it's worse than white castle and taco bell combined, if you get my drift. and bruce and fig caught plenty of my "drift" haha! but that was some vicious (and viscous) stuff. they had a "nutrition information" sign on the wall there. it should be renamed "how-fast-will-this-shit-kill-you information".

oh, and no blog about the tour would be complete without mentioning the blizzard on the way back! we drove from NC up to arlington, VA after our final show in murfreesboro to get some of the driving out of the way that night. it was a little sleety and drizzly. we wake up sunday morning to a white-out. so what should have been about a 6 hour drive took us nearly 10 hours. nobody south of jersey can drive in snow, it's insane! add to the equation the ripped windshield wiper and messed up side mirror, and you get hours and hours of Billy West specials on Howard Stern (which was freaking awesome, btw), and then hours of Bruce's newest game - "Who Is Better?"

actually that isn't the name, i don't think it had a formal name, but it will! basically, bruce would ask of fig something like "Who is better - Van Halen or Vai?" it evolved into 5 discrete categories, since you can't just pick one without some discussion, of course. :) i think it was "groove, tricks, precision, who would you have in your band, and overall". so they went through a litany of mostly 80s metal guitarists (yngwie, vai, gillis, wylde, etc. and a bunch i've never heard of) which then evolved into drummers and bassists too, and then out of just 80s and adding some newer guys... it was crazy! but it was actually pretty entertaining. so i think i'm gonna try to get those f'ers to do it again, in smaller doses, on video, or maybe audio as a podcast. i think that'd be fun. it might suck, we'll see.

Last edited by Harvey on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:38 pm 

Yay for tour blogging! I feel much better now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:30 am 
Site Admin

i knew you would. :) wish i could tour blog more often!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:33 pm 

that was an awesome recap marv! i only wish i could've been there to see you guys off in the beginning! it sounds like it was a marvelous time over all...and how could it not be with you three? :)

restless, restless
she starts to feel that way
you used to leave her breathless, breathless
now you leave her
leave her with nothing to say
nothing to say